Monday 23 November 2009

Just what do I and Boris Karloff have in common?

Today is Boris Karloff’s birthday and if he had lived he would be celebrating 122 years on this earth. This is my small contribution to The Boris Karloff Blogathon. Take a moment and check out http://frankensteinia.blogspot.com/ where you can find the blogathon and a wonderful host of information about the great man.

My association with Boris Karloff isn’t highly exciting for the majority of the world, but it fills me with pride, in a geeky kind of way.

I was born and bred in the North London town of Enfield, as was Boris. Not only that, but I went to the same school that he had attended, The Enfield Grammar School, Also, as I would walk to school on a daily basis, I would pass Boris’ father’s (I think) gravestone. Of course I attended the school many, many years after Boris had.

I was already forming an interest in old horror films and Boris Karloff before I started the school, and before I was aware of its association with him. Of course after finding out that both Boris and I wore the same school tie, my interest in him and his work increased greatly. The one thing that I had always hoped the school would do, but never did, and until this day I don’t think they have, is acknowledge their famous ex pupil with a plaque or some such in his honour. The old school had a certain snobbery, and might not have been that interested in acknowledging a ‘Horror’ actor. I hope that one day they will realise that Boris Karloff was so much more and they will honour him accordingly.

His role as Frankenstein’s monster has gone far beyond the original film, and his portrayal (along with Jack Pierce’s fantastic make-up) has entered every corner of popular culture. It is recognised by young and old throughout the world. You may never have heard of the actor's name, but asked to do an impression of ‘Frankenstein’ and you’ll instantly be mimicking Karloff’s characterisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment